All of the folks pictured below have three things in common. They all grew up in Amsterdam, NY. They all attended Amsterdam public or parochial schools. They each have also fulfilled the arduous requirements required to become medical doctors. How many can you identify? You’ll find the correct answers at the end of this post
Answers appear below:
1. Dr. Tom Catena, Amsterdam High School Class of 1982, who has been practising in Gidel in the Nuba Mountains of Sudan since 2008.
2. Dr. Peter Diamond, Amsterdam High School Class of 1969, now retired. Maintained a family practice in Amsterdam for 35 years.
3. Dr. David Collins, Amsterdam High School Class of 1970, now retired. A now retired anesthesiologist who practiced in Chambersburg, PA for 40 years.
4. Dr. Helen Kansas Blanchard, Amsterdam High School Class of 1952. Was a a practitioner of Obstetrics and Women’s Health in Amsterdam from 1960 through 1996
5. Dr. Edwin Kelly, St Mary’s Institute Class of 1928. Maintained a family practice in Amsterdam for 31 years until his death in 1964.
6. Dr. Richard Picciocca. Amsterdam High School Class of 1986. A general surgeon practicing in Florida.
7. Dr. Heather Stahura, Amsterdam High School Class of 2004. An internist practicing in Albany, NY.
8. Dr. Matthew Vicinanzo, Amsterdam High School Class of 1987. An ophthalmologist practicing in Birmingham, Alabama.
9. Dr. Mark Milunski, Amsterdam High School Class of 1972. A cardiologist practicing in Orlando, Florida.
10. Dr. Deborah Sculco, Amsterdam High School Class of 1974 – An oncologist practicing in Amsterdam, NY
11. Dr. Ronald Marsh, Amsterdam High School Graduate Class of 1977 – A general surgeon practicing in Amsterdam, NY.
12. Dr. Megan Gaugler Sumigray, Amsterdam High School Graduate Class of 2008 – A general practitioner in Schenectady, NY.
13. Dr. John Fedullo, Amsterdam High School Graduate, Class of 1977 – A Physical Medicine And Rehabilitation specialist in Amsterdam, New York.
14. Dr. Walter Zelasko, Amsterdam High School Graduate, Class of 1972 – A podiatric surgery specialist practicing in Winston Salem, NC
I would also like to mention two other doctors who are Amsterdam natives for whom I cannot locate photographs. Dr. Nancy Slezak Knudsen graduated from Bishop Scully High School in 1972 and has enjoyed a long career as a practicing oncologist. Dr. Mary Kate Seward Barnett is a 2002 graduate of Amsterdam High School who currently maintains a general practice here in Amsterdam with Amsterdam Family Practice.
I also realize that there have been many more natives and former residents of Amsterdam who have gone on to careers as medical doctors than just those listed above. If you’d like to add some of your own to this list, please use the comments feature of this blog to do so!