1. Dr. Joseph Cappuccio, an Amsterdam native who grew up in the city’s West End, graduated from Amsterdam High School in 1974, received his undergraduate degree from Union and his M.D. from the University of Rochester Medical School. He then became a full-time faculty member at that Medical School, serving as director of education for medical students during their rotations at Rochester General Hospital. An expert in medical applications of computer technology, he also became the Hospital’s first Medical Informatics Officer. Dr. Cappuccio passed away in 2009.
2. Dr. Tom Catena, Amsterdam High School Class of 1982, who has been practising in Gidel in the Nuba Mountains of Sudan since 2008.
3. Dr. Peter Diamond, Amsterdam High School Class of 1969, now retired. Maintained a family practice in Amsterdam for 35 years.
4. Dr. Kristen Santos, Graduated from Bishop Scully High School and the University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine in 1994. She currently practices Internal medicine in Troy, NY.
5. Dr. T. Donald Rapello, an Amsterdam native, son of a downtown camera store owner, graduated from St. Mary’s Institute in 1957, received his MD from Georgetown University Medical School. After serving on the U.S. Navy opened an obstetrics and gynecology practice in Amsterdam in 1971.
6. Dr. David Collins, Amsterdam High School Class of 1970. A now retired anesthesiologist who practiced in Chambersburg, PA for 40 years.
7. Dr. Michael Hardies, an Amsterdam native, grew up on Fairmont Ave, graduated from Amsterdam High School, did his undergraduate work at Colgate and received his M.D. from Albany Medical College in 1974. He then went on to establish a distinguished career in occupational medicine before returning to his hometown to practice internal medicine on the staff of St. Mary’s Healthcare.
8. Dr. Helen Kansas Blanchard, Amsterdam High School Class of 1952. Was a a practitioner of Obstetrics and Women’s Health in Amsterdam from 1960 through 1996
9. Dr. Leonard McGuigan, born in Amsterdam, grew up on Fairmont Avenue and graduated from Amsterdam High School in 1926. He got his medical degree from the Rochester School of Medicine and opened his Amsterdam practice in 1937 at 126 Division Street. Was still working forty years later.
10. Dr. Edwin Kelly, St Mary’s Institute Class of 1928. Maintained a family practice in Amsterdam for 31 years until his death in 1964.
11. Dr. Charles Bertuch, son of Amsterdam neighborhood grocers, he became an engineer first and then switched to medicine in the early 1960s, graduating from Albany Med and specializing in orthopedic surgery. He established a practice in Amsterdam that lasted for close to half a century.
12. Dr. Richard Picciocca. Amsterdam High School Class of 1988. A general surgeon practicing in Florida.
13. Dr. Heather Stahura, Amsterdam High School Class of 2004. An internist practicing in Albany, NY.
14. Dr. Matthew Vicinanzo, Amsterdam High School Class of 1988. An ophthalmologist practicing in Birmingham, Alabama.
15. Dr. Thomas Weyl, grandson of a prominent Amsterdam banker and son of an Amsterdam High School teacher, Weyl got his medical degree from AlbanyMedical College in 1957 and opened his pediatrics practice in Amsterdam in 1960. He was Chief of Staff at Amsterdam Memorial Hospital from 1983 to 1989. He closed his practice in 1994 and passed away one year later.
16. Dr. Mary Barnett, born in Amsterdam and raised in Hagaman, this 2002 AHS graduate got her medical degree at the University of Buffalo, SUNY School of Medicine in 2010 and is currently engaged in a general practice for Amsterdam Family Practice in Amsterdam.
17. Dr. Mark Milunski, Amsterdam High School Class of 1972. A cardiologist practicing in Orlando, Florida.
18. Dr. Deborah Sculco, Amsterdam High School Class of 1974 – An oncologist practicing in Amsterdam, NY
19. Dr, Christine Heffernan (Bolognino) Bolane, daughter of a NY State Supreme Court judge, she graduated from Amsterdam’s St. Mary’s Institute in 1932 and the Long Island School of Medicine in 1938. She married a Long Island physician named Leonard Bolognino and the couple set up a dual practice here in Amsterdam that same year. She specialized in pediatric medicine. The couple later changed their last name to Bolane. After retiring they moved to Colorado where Dr. Bolane passed away in 2000.
20. Dr. Ronald Marsh, Amsterdam High School Graduate Class of 1977 – A general surgeon practicing in Amsterdam, NY.
21. Dr. Megan Gaugler Sumigray, Amsterdam High School Graduate Class of 2008 – A general practitioner in Schenectady, NY.
22. Dr. Edward Bogdan, born in Amsterdam in 1903 the son of a tailor, he graduated from St. Mary’s Institute and after getting his medical degree opened up a general practice in Amsterdam in the late 1920’s. That practice was still going strong a half century later.
23. Dr. John Fedullo, Amsterdam High School Graduate, Class of 1977 – A Physical Medicine And Rehabilitation specialist in Amsterdam, New York.
24. Dr. Walter Zelasko, Amsterdam High School Graduate, Class of 1972 – A podiatric surgery specialist practicing in Winston Salem, NC
25. Dr. William S. Blase, Graduated from Amsterdam High School and Hahnemann Medical College in Philadelphia. Opened his Amsterdam practice in 1957 and was the Chief of Staff at Amsterdam Memorial Hospital for several years.
26. Dr. Nancy Slezak Knudsen – The Valedictorian of Bishop Scully High School’s Class of 1972, she attended RPI and received her medical degree from Upstate Medical University in Syracuse in 1981. She has enjoyed a long career in internal medicine and oncology both in Albany and Amsterdam.
27. Dr. Stella Partyka – Born in Amsterdam in 1910, then moved to Connecticut as a young girl. She graduated from New York University and then completed medical school at Poland’s University of Krakow. She returned to Amsterdam in 1938 to take a position at the Montgomery County Sanatorium. She later began a private practice at 39 Church Street. She passed away in 1970.
28. Dr. Joseph Kaczmarek – This Amsterdam native graduated from Amsterdam High School in 2008 and Siena in 2012. He got his M.D. at Albany Medical College and is completing his internship at Albany Medical Center.
I realize that there have been more natives and former residents of Amsterdam who have gone on to careers as medical doctors than just those listed above. If you’d like to add some of your own to this list, please use the comments feature of this blog to do so!