There was no Amsterdam Birthday Celebrant found or nominated for today’s date so instead, we thought we’d give you the opportunity to test your knowledge of Amsterdam history. All of the answers to the following questions can be found by reading the articles and ads that appear in the April 29, 1965 issue of the Amsterdam Evening Recorder:
1) On what floor of Lurie’s Department Store was the furniture department?
2) This former Amsterdam Alderman started at third base and went 0-2 at the plate in St Mary’s Institute’s 11-0 loss to Gloversville. Who was that third baseman?
3) These Amsterdam cousins started at catcher and shortstop respectively for the 1965 AHS varsity baseball team that edged Johnstown, 6-5. What was the cousins’ shared last name?
4) This restaurant located at 207 Forest Avenue advertised “Pierogi’s Every Friday.” What was the name of this Amsterdam eatery?
5) What was the advertised interest rate earned on savings account deposits at Amsterdam Savings on April 29, 1965?
6) What was the cost of a first class postage stamp on April 29, 1965?
7) What brand name was printed on the labels of the suits and sport coats sold by Mortan’s.
8) Beach Blanket Bingo opened at the Mohawk Theater 50 years ago today. Who were the male and female leads of that movie?
9) Who was the Mayor of Amsterdam on April 29, 1965?
10) It was Amsterdam’s biggest hardware store on April 29, 1965.